Johnson Matthey is a leading speciality chemicals company underpinned by science, technology and our people
Well positioned for future growth
A leader in sustainable technologies, many of our products enhance the quality of life for millions through their impact on the environment, health and wellbeing.
Technology leadership forms the basis of Johnson Matthey’s strategy to deliver superior long term growth and we continue to invest in research and development (R&D) to develop the next generation of sustainable products for our customers.
Global group with emerging market exposure
Johnson Matthey sells its products globally which provides stability in times of regional market uncertainty.
Year on year we are increasing our sales to developing markets and expanding our operations to support this growth.
Serving a range of markets
Johnson Matthey is focused on its key markets where we can add value through applying our expertise in catalysis and platinum group metal chemistry.
This approach enables us to maintain differentiation through technology and achieve leading industry positions with high margin products.
Leading market positions
Through a deep understanding of markets and customers combined with focus on technology Johnson Matthey has established leading positions in the market:
- Global leader in emission control
- #1 in the methanol and hydrogen catalyst markets
- Largest secondary refiner of platinum group metals.
Investing in R&D – culture of innovation
We invest heavily in research and development (R&D). We recognise that this investment is vital if we are to realise new market opportunities over the years ahead.
Our ability to innovate and differentiate through technology underpins our future success.
We spend about 5% of sales on R&D each year. In 2014/15 this was £170m.
Read more in our
The bottom line
Johnson Matthey has attractive business fundamentals:
- A strong culture of innovation
- Leading market positions across all of its major areas of activity
- A strong return on capital, within a target rate of 20%
- Strong bottom line rewards for shareholders with a 15.9% compound annual growth rate (CAGR) in earnings per share and a 11.8% CAGR in dividend per share over the last six years.