How Johnson Matthey gets involved with and supports communities and charities around the world
Johnson Matthey believes that sustainability is inclusive: we have a strong tradition of good community relations and the company and our employees are actively involved in programmes worldwide.
We have an important contribution to make to the economic development of our local communities, not only as an employer but also through collaboration and investment, both financial and in kind.
Making a positive impact in our communities
Johnson Matthey is committed to making a positive impact on the world, and charitable giving is a key way in which we can effect positive change.
Johnson Matthey has a comprehensive charitable giving programme which includes:
- The annual Group Charity of the Year programme, which provides support to a single charitable organisation over a defined period and includes both a corporate donation and staff fundraising activities throughout the year.
- Our annual donations programme, which provides a cycle of regular giving to several chosen charities around the world.
- A 'matched funding' programme, where the business will match the funds staff raise for either our Charity of the Year or for a charity of their choice.
- Support from sites worldwide for causes in their local communities.
Johnson Matthey has supported educational causes since it first partnered with the Royal London Society of the Blind in 1838.
We understand the importance of children studying science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) subjects at school, and support activities in local schools through programmes such as Children Challenging Industry in the UK, which is coordinated by the Centre for Industry Education Collaboration.
Our support for education extends to other educational causes around the world, such as our decade long support of three schools in one of the poorest parts of Sri Lanka through the United Kingdom Friends of Galle (UKFG).
Johnson Matthey has chosen Plan International as its corporate charity partner.
Plan is a global charity that works with children in the world's poorest countries so they can move themselves from a life of poverty to a future with opportunity. For over 75 years, Plan has been taking action and standing up for every child's right to fulfil their potential by:
- giving children a healthy start in life, including access to safe drinking water
- securing the education of girls and boys
- working with communities to prepare for and survive disaster
- inspiring children to take a lead in decisions that affect their lives
- enabling families to earn a living and plan for their children's future
- Plan is independent, with no religious, political or government affiliation.
Johnson Matthey encourages its employees to participate in community activities to make a difference in their local areas. As part of our Community Investment Policy, all employees can take two days` paid leave per year for community or charity work, subject to approval.
Johnson Matthey also strives to be a good corporate neighbour. As a member of Business in the Community, we work to tackle a wide range of issues that are essential to creating a fairer society and a more sustainable future.
We also are a member of the London Benchmarking Group, which includes more than 120 major companies that develop and share best practice in community investment programmes around the world.