In 2007 we launched our Sustainability 2017 Vision, which aimed to make more efficient use of resources in our operations and focus more on designing new products to help customers become more competitive and sustainable.
To accompany this, we set out six specific goals for the ten-year period. These were supported by a company-wide focus on sustainable practice across five key elements: social, environmental and financial issues, as well as governance (including regulations and reporting), and health and safety. The programme was completed earlier this year, and the final results showed that we reached and exceeded many of its targets.
It is our strategy to grow our business through:
- Investment in sustainable technologies
- Application of key niche market knowledge
- Development of products concerned with protecting the environment, improving health and utilising resources efficiently
Sustainability at our core
We are committed to the principles of sustainable development and strive for outstanding resource efficiency and minimum carbon intensity.
We aim to further develop and enhance sustainability as a core competence and key driver of competitiveness for our business.
A sustainable partner
We aim to encourage our suppliers and customers to adopt the values of sustainability which we uphold.
For the benefit of our customers, we aim to apply our expertise to the development of a new generation of sustainable products and services.
Following the completion of the Sustainability 2017 programme, JM has developed themes and sustainable business goals to 2025. Our sustainable business plan beyond 2017 will look to:
- Shift in emphasis from internal facing to external facing issues
- Assess impact and benefits through the value chain
- Be an integrated part of Johnson Matthey's business strategy.