Team Bitrex


Keeping children safe

Helping protect children throughout the world, Bitrex® makes potentially harmful products extremely unpalatable and helps prevent children from swallowing them. Discovered by Johnson Matthey, Bitrex® has developed into one of the world’s leading safety components to reduce accidental poisoning.

Bitrex® is recognised as the most bitter substance known to man. It is inert and odourless, however very low concentrations are sufficient to make a product unpalatable without altering its original properties. As only very small amounts of Bitrex are needed, it is an extremely effective solution that can be added to most compatible products to make them safer in the home.

Child poisoning is of particular concern, for example in the UK, 25,500 children under the age of five were sent to hospital with suspected poisoning in 2013 – that’s 70 a day. Young children are particularly sensitive to bitter tastes and so Bitrex® acts as an effective deterrent that helps to prevent accidental ingestion of harmful household products by young children.

Johnson Matthey discovered Bitrex in 1958 and since then it has been developed for use in many applications including household personal care, autocare products, and pesticides.

Visit the Bitrex website to find out more about the benefits it could bring to your products.

Child on plane

Find out more


The world's worst bitter: discovered, 'brewed' and tested in Scotland

Read more Read more


Visit the Bitrex website

Get in touch

Siobhan Hanlon

Bitrex Business Manager

    Send a message

    Gregor Spence

    Associate Business Manager

      Send a message