Our superior precious metal mineral insulated metal sheathed (MIMS) thermocouples are beneficial in rigorous and harsh conditions.
MIMS thermocouples offer several benefits compared to bare wire thermocouples, including:
- Flexibility and compactness; they can be bent around small radii (down to four times the MIMS diameter), allowing difficult heat zones to be measured.
- A quick response to temperature change; the high conductivity of the sheath reduces the thermal lag in temperature measurement.
- Being extremely resistant to mechanical and thermal shock.
- Resistance to chemical and atmospheric attack.
- Meeting the rigorous demands of AMS 2750E standards.
- Availability to ASTM E2181M
The fine diameter thermocouple wires are embedded in high purity magnesia refractory surrounded by a metal sheath. Compared to other methods of temperature measurement, this provides exceptional accuracy, extended service life and lower temperature drift.
|Type||Sheath material||Combination||Max recommended operating temperature|
|-VE||+VE||Continuous use||Intermittent use|
|S||10% Rh/Pt||Pt||10% Rh/Pt||1300||1450|
|R||10% Rh/Pt||Pt||13% Rh/Pt||1300||1450|
|B||10% Rh/Pt||6% Rh/Pt||30% Rh/Pt||1450||1600|
|B||20% Rh/Pt||6% Rh/Pt||30% Rh/Pt||1450||1600|
We offer a range of end caps for use with MIMS thermocouples to accommodate different connections to measuring instruments:
- Type A (supplied as standard) has 75mm insulated and 25mm bare compensating tails. Male or female connectors can also be fitted to the tails. The junction between the thermocouple and compensating cable is hermetically sealed, useful for corrosive or humid environments.
- Type A2 is similar to type A but with plugs on the junction, allowing rapid changing of the thermocouple without needed to replace the compensating cable.